Random Night Post (Me)

19:00

Long time no see, I guess. Yes, this post will be about me, but I won't exclusively be talking about myself. It'll still display my selfishness, however. As René Descartes conveyed it; "I think, therefore I am". I'd like to think my world revolves around me, that doesn't mean I assume that I'm the center of the universe. I'd like to think that what I do with my life is what truly makes me, I won't be anyone if I've never done anything. In a way, the circumstances in which you were born into is irrelevant, it's what you do with the gift of life that truly makes you.

I see myself, along with other humans, as vulnerable beings. If there's one truth in this world, it's that nothing lasts forever. But, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, even if you end up being forgotten, even if nothing happens for a reason, and even if you feel like the whole universe is fighting against you. We live in the moment, your past doesn't define you and your future certainly cannot affect you. It's because of that moment itself, everything you do becomes priceless. Time gives everything a value, even the tiniest things.

In that fashion, it doesn't matter how long it takes for you to get to your destination. Everything is about the journey, not the destination. Some people are fast walkers, some people are slow as hell, and even though it's annoying to wait behind a grandma on a ridiculously narrow staircase, everyone gets to their destination eventually. Sure, there might be the risk of getting hit by a bus, or getting eaten alive by a bear, or God be praised, getting abducted by aliens. It doesn't matter how things end, but it certainly matters that you progress.

Lastly, don't feel bad when something ends. Instead of thinking it as a failure or a mistake, think of it as a short-lived success or even, a priceless experience. I can't promise you that everything's going to be alright, but as long as there's a reason to keep going, you can't make any excuse to stop. And that'll probably be the last of it.

hopefully without regrets,
Andri Kurniawan

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Popular Posts

Try These

The Alchemist
Veronika Decides to Die
The Zahir
The Pilgrimage
Rhapsody
Niskala
Winter in Tokyo
Autumn in Paris
Summer in Seoul
Sunshine Becomes You
Spring in London
Madre: Kumpulan Cerita
Perahu Kertas
Supernova: Ksatria, Puteri, dan Bintang Jatuh
Filosofi Kopi: Kumpulan Cerita dan Prosa Satu Dekade
The Lightning Thief
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Sea of Monsters
The Last Olympian
The Lost Hero


Andri Kurniawan's favorite books »