Life as...Everything? (Hallowed Thoughts)

13:43

So...today was kinda special, I think? I started asking about views on life and ended up with a deep lesson about it. I find this really relatable, so be sure to read it thoroughly if you are interested in this kind of view. Lastly, check out Hallowed Thoughts's work here! He's also one of Writing Room's inhabitant, so be sure to check us out if you want here^^ Without further ado, here goes.

'I can't particularly think of how to summarize my views on life since that feels like an incredibly vague prompt. Instead, I'll start by talking on my view of time, then I'll expand from there however my mind sees fit. I tend not to view time as hours or minutes. Instead, those are the units of measurement I use to measure my life up to the rest of the world. I view time in spurts. I'll play video games, hang out with friends, and other things, but it doesn't feel like a set amount of hours have passed by. Instead, it feels like an event begins and then ends, and there coincidentally happens to be a clock allowing me to measure it. It's very much like the saying "Time flies when you're having fun". Time contracts for me when I'm doing activities I love, and expands when I'm not. Sleep is a particularly interesting time for me because I view it as losing existence. When I go to sleep, everything stops: time, movement, thoughts, everything. When I wake up and when I go to sleep aren't separated by anything other than an irregular dream or two. Thus, I don't even consider myself to be existing when I sleep. I vanish, and the world along with me. I guess this segues well enough into my view on life, which will unfortunately incorporate a bit of religious talk, so apologies if I offend. I tend to follow Descartes's philosophical statement "I think, therefore I am" in that the only thing I believe 100% to be true is my own existence. While I'm fairly confident the sun is going to rise tomorrow, I'm not 100% confident of it as I'm not sure what the future may hold. However, I'm 99.99% sure it'll still happen. I can't forget that .01% though, no matter how small it may be, so I'm not confident in any of it. However, I see my most practical method of dealing with events in life as treating it as if it was real instead of constantly doubting the reality I view. In a way, it makes me feel very egotistic and narcissistic since I basically center the possible universe around myself being the only certain existence. At the same time, it makes me feel very insignificant since everything in my life that I care about could be all an illusion, Which leads to another part of my world view I guess. Yay for stream-of-consciousness writing! (kind of) I notice a lot of paradoxes in my life. Things that shouldn't be able to have two particular traits yet have them anyways. My mood can be very uplifted and at the same time very somber and depressed. I can be great friends with someone and at the same time not feel as if I know a single thing about them. These feel like rather weak examples, but that's mainly because the big ones I notice tend to be very private to me, so I'll refrain from going into them. A lot of this dual nature stuff may relate to the natural (what I see as natural anyways) tendency to create many personas and layers to our character both to protect ourselves and to protect others. We don't relate our truest feelings to the world because they're either too blunt and serious for most people to handle up front or because they're too private and personal to risk sharing among those we don't trust. So we put up fronts, facades, personas, masks, and more. The English language itself has so many synonyms for this concept that helps illustrate how commonplace I believe this to be. I've known people (myself included oftentimes) who walk around with the biggest grin on their face while their words indicate a heavy cynicism with the world. In a way, this paradoxical nature might be another way of coping with the insane world we're brought into and are forced to deal with. These masks we wear make it even harder to make true connections with the people we meet around us unfortunately, as we often times don't want to risk shedding the mask to find out who the other person truly is. It's part of why I'm telling you all this even though I wouldn't tell most if any of this stuff to some of my closest friends. The internet allows me anonymity as another mask to protect myself even more so. The worst thing that can happen to us in a situation where we've burden ourselves down with layers of protection from the people around us is when we start to doubt ourselves. When we can't even fully trust our own thoughts and emotions is truly when I think a spiral into despair takes place. Which relates to my name, actually, so hey, Well, that's about all I got for the time being I think.'
So...what do you think? It explains life in an egocentric view quite well, huh? When you begin to look at life that way, you'll start realizing that life is full of paradoxes. I think it is utmost interesting and it satisfies my thoughts. T'was the words of a man who lives by his name, and next one might be yours? 

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Popular Posts

Try These

The Alchemist
Veronika Decides to Die
The Zahir
The Pilgrimage
Rhapsody
Niskala
Winter in Tokyo
Autumn in Paris
Summer in Seoul
Sunshine Becomes You
Spring in London
Madre: Kumpulan Cerita
Perahu Kertas
Supernova: Ksatria, Puteri, dan Bintang Jatuh
Filosofi Kopi: Kumpulan Cerita dan Prosa Satu Dekade
The Lightning Thief
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Sea of Monsters
The Last Olympian
The Lost Hero


Andri Kurniawan's favorite books »